Indoor Mold

What is indoor mold?

Mold is a common concern that can create a lot of confusion. According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), mold can be found both indoors and outdoors and can survive in harsh environmental conditions.  How many species of the fungi exist is unknown, but estimates range from tens of thousands to three hundred thousand or more.*

What You Should Know About Mold:

  1. Possible health effects and symptoms from mold exposures include– allergic reactions, asthma, and respiratory complaints
  2. While there is no way to eliminate all mold and mold spores in the indoors; you can control indoor mold growth by controlling moisture.
  3. If you have a problem with mold, it must be cleaned correctly and the source of moisture eliminated.
  4. Fix the source of the water problem or leak to prevent mold growth.
  5. Reduce indoor humidity (to 30-60%) to decrease mold growth by:
    • Venting bathrooms, dryers and other moisture-generating sources to the outside
    • Using air conditioners and de-humidifiers
    • Increasing ventilation
  1. Use exhaust fans whenever cooking, washing dishes and cleaning
  2. Clean and dry any damp, wet building materials and furnishing within 24-48 hours to prevent mold growth.
  3. Prevent condensation: Reduce the potential for condensation on  cold surfaces (i.e., windows, piping, exterior walls, roof, or floors) by adding insulation.
  4. In areas where there is a perpetual moisture problem, do not install carpeting (i.e., by drinking fountains, by classroom sinks, or on concrete floors with leaks or frequent condensation)
  5. Molds can be found almost anywhere; they can grow on virtually any substance, providing moisture is present. There are molds that can grow on wood, paper, carpet, and foods. 

 

The problem with DIY Mold Removal

Common household cleaning agents and disinfectants are nowhere near strong enough to eliminate mold spores. This is also true of bleach. What they do is hinder mold spore development for a short period of time.

The team at Thompson Building Associates are trained professionals, certified by the IICRC. We are able to pinpoint mold in your home beyond what is visible to your eye. We have all of the equipment necessary to comprehensively remove mold from wood, walls, HVAC equipment and other surfaces. If you think you might have a problem, give us a call and talk to our professionals.

 

Learn More from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

Be sure to “Like” us on Facebook