Whether you’re dealing with water damage, sewer backup, or a leaking roof, water damage repairs also provide an opportunity to make desirable home improvements. Making essential repairs in a timely manner is critical to preventing or minimizing mold damage which can greatly escalate costs. But what if you could also make home improvements at the time of water damage repairs that would also increase property value and make selling easier? Homeowners insurance will generally provide replacement costs less your deductible for water and mold damage repairs. You may want to enhance restoration with home improvements that increase comfort, aesthetic appeal, and property value while making selling easier.
This post will help you to understand what home improvements help property resale and add value the most and where you can expect the greatest return on investment. It will also help you to choose a water damage restoration contractor who is well qualified to perform your job quickly, safely, competently and give you peace of mind throughout the entire water damage repair and restoration process.
Here are 5 important home improvements that add to your property value and appeal to potential buyers.
- KITCHEN HOME REMODELING – After water damage and/or mold repairs in the kitchen, it is often necessary to replace cabinets, countertops, drywall, baseboards, and flooring. There is no doubt that the kitchen can be the biggest selling feature in a home. A kitchen renovation with quality wood cabinets, granite countertops, modern appliances, flooring, lighting and decorative backsplash tiling will add to your enjoyment, pride, and quality of life. The kitchen is an area that will yield the greatest return on investment for the property value. Even minor kitchen remodeling can add 79% to your investment with a lower but substantial return for moderate and upscale improvements.
- BATHROOM REMODELING – Bathroom water damage is a common occurrence, particularly with burst pipes, sewage backups, and with fire damage and other major flooding disasters. A good remodeling contractor will provide you with options for restoring damaged bathrooms based on your budget, insurance coverage, and goals. Beautiful modern, upscale bathrooms will enhance your pleasure and comfort if you plan to remain in your home for a lengthy period of time. Even minor bathroom renovations can produce an average return of 70 – 102% at the time of resale.
- SUNROOM ADDITION – Although it will yield a lower return on investment at the time of resale, adding or converting a living space into a beautiful Florida sunroom can provide greater than 50% return and become a captivating feature for prospective buyers.
- MASTER BEDROOM SUITE – A well-designed master bedroom suite is in high demand. Although it may not add to the appraised value of your home, it will make your property much more attractive to prospective buyers. With enough square footage, your contractor should be able to offer you remodeling designs that include a sleeping area, sitting room, one or more walk-in closets and a spacious master bath.
- ROOF REPLACEMENT – a new roof will not add to a property’s appraised value unless the roof is leaking and/or in bad condition. A new roof will, however, make the home more sellable.
When Water Damage and Mold Happens…
Don’t trust water damage cleanup or mold remediation to just any company.
Not all companies providing water damage and mold remediation services are the same. Many are not licensed, certified or capable of restoring your property to its pre-loss condition. Most are not experienced general contractors who can add value to your property through custom remodeling at the time of restoration.
Thompson Building Associates is a fully licensed, IICRC certified and insured general contractor in Florida. For more than three decades, our experience, training, and values for integrity, quality, and dependable services have made us a respected water, mold, fire damage, and restoration company for forty years. From drying your carpets to performing a full house restoration and remodeling after a major loss, Thompson Building Associates is a full-service contractor you can trust.
Unlike some of our competitors, we follow IICRC standards to assure safe and appropriate practices. This means that customers are not overcharged for unnecessary and costly demolition and restoration of their property. We are one of a few trusted residential contractors for water damage, mold remediation, and restoration services by leading homeowner insurance companies.